For those of you who are searching for a quick and yummy recipe for this festival season, Kesar Peda is for you. It is a very easy and mouth watering Indian dessert which can be prepared in a very short amount of time with minimal ingredients. The aroma of saffron with the whole goodness of milk and a soft & grainy texture makes Peda a simple yet delicious dessert. The Peda gets its yellow color and a great flavor from the saffron (kesar).
p.s. Sorry, I couldn’t take step by step pictures for all my Diwali recipes as I was racing the clock to get everything done in a day. But, I hope the steps are detailed enough and clear.
Here’s what you need:
- Heavy cream – 1 cup
- Milk powder – 2 cups
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Cardamom (crushed) – ¼ tsp
- Saffron – few strands
- Milk (to soak the saffron) – 1 Tbsp
- Pistachios (sliced) – 1 Tbsp
- Soak the strands of saffron in a tablespoon of milk and set aside
- Add milk powder and heavy cream in a non-stick pan on low heat and mix it well till it becomes a thick batter of soft consistency.
- Continue to cook the mixture for another 10-12 minutes in low medium heat till it becomes a lumpy like soft dough. Make sure to keep stirring it continuously and not letting it stick to the sides of the pan
- Add cardamom and soaked cardamom in the above mixture and cook it for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and keep it aside. (The resulting mixture is known as khoya)
- Add sugar into the khoya once it has become lukewarm (almost room temperature) and knead it to make it into soft dough
- Divide the dough into 15-20 equal sized smooth balls using your palms and press a little in the middle to make a small impression
- Garnish the pedas with sliced pistachios and serve it at room temperature
- You can always use readymade Khoya for this recipe but I would highly recommend making it from scratch.
- Instead of garnishing with crushed pistachios you can also use cherries or almonds
- If the dough is too soft, add almond or coconut powder to the mix
- If the dough is too dry, add heavy cream as needed to make it soft
- You can store pedas in airtight containers and consume within 2-3 days
Happy cooking !! ♥♥